Monday, 9 January 2012

Review: Darkness Falls by Cate Tiernan

Darkness Falls (Immortal Beloved #2) by Cate Tiernan
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Released: January 5th 2012
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Nastasya has lived for hundreds of years, but for some reason, life never seems to get any better. She left her spoiled, rich girl life to find peace at River's Edge, a safe haven for wayward immortals. There, she learned to embrace River's Edge, despite some drama involving the sexy Reyn, who she wants but won't allow herself to have. But just as she's getting comfortable, her family's ties to dark magick force her to leave.

She falls back into her old, hard partying ways, but will her decision lead her into the hands of a dark immortal? Or will it be her first step to embracing the darkness within her?
(from Goodreads)

Nasty’s time at River’s Edge hasn’t been easy. Changing your whole life around doesn’t happen in one day. But Nasty’s gotten used to life there – even waking up before dawn to collect chicken eggs doesn’t seem so bad anymore. But soon, everything starts going wrong. Nasty seems to mess up everything she touches. Her New Year’s resolution to cast off her darkness seems to have been thrown back in her face – darkness is everywhere, infecting her and her surroundings. She’s hurting people she cares about, causing accidents and making things even more confusing with Reyn. What is going on? Why can’t she do anything right? And will she be able to stay on the path of good, or will she go back to the way she was? Her old friends are still searching for her – and they’re dangerously close.

Darkness Falls was an excellent follow up to Immortal Beloved. We found out a lot more about certain characters (including Lorenz, who was a minor but very interesting character), which I really enjoyed, and got to see how Nasty and Incy became friends. Nasty was her usual witty self in this book, but was also suffering a lot, and her past was really haunting her, causing her to spiral back into darkness. She relapsed for a while and definitely made some stupid mistakes, but I could see how hard things were for her, and how little she trusted anyone (including herself). I admit I got a bit frustrated with her indecision at times, but I also really felt for her, and was rooting for her the whole time. She had started to care about people, including everyone at River’s Edge, her co-worker Meriwether and a teenager called Dray, and felt genuinely upset when she made them angry and couldn’t help them. I really hope she manages to work things out with Meriwether and Dray in the future, because I think she needs them as much as they need her.

River - kind, sweet, amazing River - revealed a lot of her past to Nasty, which was fascinating. I knew that River had a dark past, but I really didn’t expect what we got here. River was the wisest, most solid and loving person at River’s Edge, and it was really weird seeing her as she was centuries ago. Nasty was convinced that she couldn’t be saved, that she was too dark to be good, but River disagreed. By showing Nasty her own, dark past, I think she managed to help Nasty see that she could get better. That everyone could be good if they truly wanted to and worked hard to make up for the awful things they did. River used to be worse than Nasty, but had managed to become the most genuinely lovely person you could imagine. I don’t know if I’d say she redeemed herself, but she was trying. And she taught everyone at River’s Edge that all you could do was try.

Another character we got to discover more about was Incy. He was a strange one. When he first came back in the story, he seemed completely normal. Nothing like the deranged guy in Nasty’s visions. I was a bit confused – as was Nasty. He acted like nothing happened, like a caring friend that was just worried. The rest of Nasty’s friends seemed normal and fine too. But as Incy and Nasty spent more time with each other, you could see something was very wrong with him. He was hiding something dark – and Nasty wanted to help, but wasn’t sure if she could by herself. I found Incy to be one of the most intriguing characters in this book, and I’m looking forward to book three to see what becomes of him.

Of course, there was also the Reyn/Nasty relationship to deal with, and with the arrival of Amy, a perfectly nice woman who was in lust at first sight with the Viking god, things got even more complicated.  Nasty tried to act like she didn’t want Reyn, that she despised him and what his clan did to her family, but she was still drawn to him, and hated the fact that Amy wanted him too. Reyn quite clearly liked Nasty but got infuriated by her comments. It was a mess. They wanted each other, but they hated each other. They were attracted yet disgusted. By the end, a few things were resolved, but still. The problems between them – their history – will always remain. I’m wondering whether they can really get past it (I hope they can).

Plot-wise, this one was a little faster in pace and there was a bit more going on. A mysterious woman called “Miss Edna” was introduced (by name only) and was quite clearly involved in very dark magick. I have a feeling she’ll be a lot more prominent in the next book and I can’t wait to find out who she is. There was also a bit more action which I liked, and I also really loved the way Darkness Falls ended. It was satisfying but still left room for more, and the last line was pretty cool in my opinion.

Overall, I really enjoyed Darkness Falls and would definitely recommend it to those who enjoyed the first book (and to those who haven’t read the first book yet – read it!)

6 comments:

  1. I don't know how you do it. These kinds of books destroy me mentally. I hate indecisive characters, so I'm not sure I'd get along well with Nasty. But I am intrigued by the whole immortal aspect, so maybe it's still a possibility, reading this series.

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cate really gave us a corker of a read in the later part of this book. I want more Reyn and wow , to get other the past,is it possible to move forward? I am really enjoying thsi series and YES Miss Edna, who or what are we dealing with here?

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh you're so making me want to reread this series! Damn you and your persuasive reviews, Liz! River's past fascinated (and definitely shocked) me too and I was so intrigued by what we learnt about Incy! Also - puppy! Dove! <3 I just randomly remembered that at the end and it made me aww ;)

    Book 3. I want. NOOOOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I like the sound of this one better than the first book. It's nice to see characters slip, makes them seem more human.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this one! Loved the faster pace and I love that there was more Incy! I find him so much more interesting/appealing than Reyn. Is that awfully strange of me?! lol! Really looking forward to the next book. I hope we find out lots more about this mysterious Miss Edna!

    Great review, Liz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep forgetting to pick this one up after Immortal Beloved! I really need to get going. Darkness falls sounds even better. Thanks for the great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)