Saturday, 21 April 2012

Review: Fins are Forever by Tera Lynn Childs

Fins are Forever (Fins #2) by Tera Lynn Childs
Publisher: Templar
Released: April 1st 2012
My Rating: 3.5 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

On Lily Sanderson’s eighteenth birthday she’ll become just a girl—still a mer girl, true, but signing the renunciation paperwork will ink Princess Waterlily of Thalassinia out of existence. That leaves plain old Lily living on land, dating the boy she loves, and trying to master this being human thing once and for all.

Now that Lily and Quince are together, mer-bond or not, she’s almost content to give up her place in the royal succession of Thalassinia. But just when she thinks she has everything figured out, Lily’s father sends a certain whirlpool-stirring cousin to stay with her on land. What did Doe do to get herself exiled from Thalassinia and stuck in terraped form, when everyone knows how much she hates humans? And why why why is she batting her eyelashes at Lily’s former crush, Brody?

The seafoam on the surf comes when a merboy from Lily’s past shows up. Tellin asks Lily for something that clouds her view of the horizon. There’s a future with Quince on land, her loyalty to the kingdom in the sea, and Lily tossing on the waves in the middle. Will she find a way to reconcile her love, her duty, and her dreams?
(from Goodreads)

Fins are Forever was an enjoyable follow-up to Forgive My Fins that explored Lily’s decision to give up her title as Princess in order to live on land with Quince. While I did think some things seemed a little bit unbelievable, it was a lot of fun and a great addition to the series.

Lily was going through some troubles in this book and was pretty unsure of herself throughout. She had given up her throne, but kept wondering whether she had done the right thing – she wanted to be with Quince, yet she was also missing her home in the ocean. Then to make matters worse, Lily’s cousin Dosinia was exiled and sent to live with her. Dosinia was a troublemaker from the start, flirting with Lily’s ex-crush Brody and almost revealing their mermaid secret, and she refused to say why she had been exiled in the first place, making Lily’s job of watching over her even harder. I felt bad for Lily at times, because even though she was a little naive and sometimes made matters worse for herself, she was stuck with babysitting her out of control cousin, and was also struggling with inner turmoil – she had yet to tell Quince that she had given up her throne for him and was putting it off more and more. It was a hard time for her, especially when her childhood friend Tellin showed up, claiming that Lily could keep her title if she listened to his plan.

Tellin seemed to be only a minor character, and showed up towards the end, but his appearance had a big impact on the story. I didn’t really like him much at first and felt he was only there to interfere, but he grew on me, and while I thought the ending was very strange (I can’t imagine living in such a situation), I’m glad it ended that way because I think Tellin deserved to be helped. He was under a lot of stress and pressure, I can see why he was so frantic and desperate for Lily’s aid. I imagine he will become a much more important character in the next book.

While I liked most of the characters in the book (even Doe, who grew on me!), I did find some of their actions hard to believe. In the first book, I found it really odd that Quince would have been willing to give up everything: his family, his future career/education, his friends, his home, even his very way of life to go and be with Lily in Thalassinia forever. I mean, he was so young, and to be making such life-altering decisions and declaring his undying love at that age just made me think that he was a bit immature to think his feelings would never change. Despite my reservations though, I accepted it and went in to book two thinking that maybe the characters would be more developed and mature. However, the same thing happened again, but this time with Dosinia and Brody. Brody barely knew Dosinia at all, had barely even spoken to her and yet seemed perfectly fine to give up his life on land for her! It just seemed a bit too much, a bit too unrealistic. I can’t think of many teens that would be willing to give up so much for someone, even if they were supposedly madly in love with them.

I think Fins are Forever had more going on than book one. The plot really developed and I like the direction it seems to be heading. It was well-paced and I finished it pretty quickly, though the cliffhanger-type ending (it wasn't exactly a cliffhanger, but it definitely left me wanting more) made me wish I read it a bit slower, seeing as the next book won’t be out for a while.

Overall, Fins are Forever was a great sequel, and while I didn’t perhaps enjoy it as much as the first one, I would recommend this series to fans of mermaid books because it’s definitely an interesting take on the mermaid world. I’m already excited for the next book!

8 comments:

  1. I never read any books by Tera Lynn Childs but I am really interested in reading Forgive My Fins! It's been a while since I read a book about mermaids and this one sounds fun!

    Awesome review, Liz! ♥ Despite the fact that you enjoyed the first book more than the second one, I'm still glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read the first book in this series and I'm dying to read the sequel to see how everything plays out. It's a pity you didn't enjoy the book as much as you did with the first book, but I'm glad it was still a great sequel for you. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great review!! i need to read the first one before i read this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz! To be honest, I haven't read the first book. I'm still trying to decide if I will. And I missed reading your reviews so when I saw this, I clicked the link right away! Hmm..I like that the characters grew on you. I like it when the characters grow on me. And I'm glad that the plot was better in Book 2! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed this book. It didn't blow my mind but like you I thought it was sweet. I'm looking forward to book 3! :D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never read any of Tera Lynn Childs' books (although I have Sweet Venom) but they all sound like SO MUCH FUN. This one included even if it has its moments that require some suspension of disbelief. Seriously, I see why you would be skeptical... I can't see the guys at my high school willingly giving up their lives to go live in the ocean. That's dedication though ;) Haha, great review! It's awesome to hear that you liked this one overall!

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  7. The model on this actress reminds me of Anna Sophia Robb! If you still want to read the next book, then I'd count this story as a success!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm I am torn on this. I have never given a mermaid book a chance even though I was obsessed with them growing up. I guess I just need to dive in(lol) to their world. I'm sorry the characters keep having immature moments but that is often life when you are a teenager. I think most teenagers make at least one rash decision in their life if not more.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)