Thursday, 28 June 2012

Review: Infamous by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Infamous (Chronicles of Nick #3) by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Publisher: Atom
Released: March 13th 2012
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Go to school. Get good grades. Stay out of trouble. That's the mandate for most kids. But Nick Gautier isn't the average teenager. He's a boy with a destiny not even he fully understands. And his first mandate is to stay alive while everyone, even his own father, tries to kill him.

He's learned to annihilate zombies and raise the dead, divination and clairvoyance, so why is learning to drive and keep a girlfriend so dang hard? But that isn't the primary skill he has to master. Survival is.

And in order to survive, his next lesson makes all the others pale in comparison. He is on the brink of becoming either the greatest hero mankind has ever known.

Or he'll be the one who ends the world. With enemies new and old gathering forces, he will have to call on every part of himself to fight or he'll lose everyone he cares about.

Even himself.
 (from Goodreads)

The books in the Chronicles of Nick series are so addictive. As soon as I finish one, I want to read the next book!  Sadly, after finishing Infamous I realised that book four, Inferno, won’t be out for a while. It’s going to be a long wait!

Infamous started with Nick finding out that Ambrose was actually his future self and the whole scene between the two of them was hilarious. Nick could make a joke out of anything – even serious matters such as becoming the reason for the end of the world. And finally, we got some answers! While Ambrose remained all cryptic and mysterious, he did actually explain a lot of things which finally put to rest some of the burning questions I’d had since book one. That’s not to say I still don’t have questions, because I do. Many. New ones, even. But hopefully this will tide me over until the next book.

Speaking of new questions though, Adarian. Wow. What. Confusion. I always thought it was strange that he seemed protective over Nick’s mother, but I just don’t understand how it was possible that he actually loved her. After what he did...and I was wary about his plans for Nick, but now, after finding out about Nick’s brother in Invincible and the second mention of him in Infamous...I am actually a bit scared to see what will happen next. Plus, how is it even possible that Nick’s father had another son? Wouldn’t that mess up the whole Malachai existence? Ahh, I NEED to know more!

Nick, while keeping his amazing sense of humour, learnt a lot of things in this book, and experienced a lot of changes. He also did something that I reckon will change everything, considering how angry Ambrose and Caleb were when they found out about it.  Seriously, he barely thought about the consequence. Even I can tell that nothing good will come out of what happened. I also definitely want to find out more about Artemis, who showed up unexpectedly. So far, we’ve found out very little about her and I am very curious about her actions in this book and what motivated them. She seemed to be all nice and kind on the outside, but to be honest, I didn’t trust her at all. I have a feeling something big will happen because of her.

The bullying that occurred in Infamous was horrible and showed that humans could be just as bad, if not worse, than demons. Something Caleb said about human cruelty really made me think about things – though he was a demon, he seemed to be one of the ones most disgusted by what was going on. When Nick was badly hurt as a result of some of the things happening, it was great to see how many people were there to support him. He had definitely changed from the lonely kid in the first book and had a lot of friends on his side.

Kyrian and Acheron didn’t appear as much in this book, though we did learn some more about Acheron. I really wanted to find out more about both their pasts – Kyrian, especially, because he seemed so nice yet clearly had another side to him and also seemed to be full of pain and regret.

The cliffhanger in this book, damn it! Just when we were close to finding out more about Kody – bam, it ended. Leaving me wanting more with months and months to think about it. I seriously can’t wait for Inferno! Looking forward to seeing what Nick will do next. There seemed to be a crazy amount of people after him in this book, so it’ll be interesting to see how he plans to avoid getting caught in the future. Also, Kody of course. When will someone weasel some information out of her?!  :P

Overall, Infamous was another great book in an awesome series, and I’ve been left to curse at the release date of Inferno. If you haven’t started this series yet, I highly recommend you grab a copy of book one and start now! You’ll be addicted before you know it.

4 comments:

  1. I've only read the first book in this series (like a while ago and I remember liking it), so I'll need to reread it again to see if I should continue with this series. But I think I should because of your fab review, Liz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't read all of your review because I don't want to spoil book two for myself but I found this to be really funny. "Infamous started with Nick finding out that Ambrose was actually his future self and the whole scene between the two of them was hilarious." I knew already very early on in book one that it was his future self so it is funny that Nick doesn't figure that out until book 3 in the series.

    I really need to get my butt in gear and read the second book so that I can move forward with this series.

    Thanks for the awesome review, glad you are enjoying this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Alexa, I didn't read your review in full because I really want to start this series soon. I mostly skimmed, though couldn't help but read on at certain keywords! I'm very eager to see how this bullying element is explored and OOOOH I glimpsed something about Nick making a certain discovery about Ambrose... which has me insanely curious :D

    GAHHHHHH. LIZMAS! YOU'RE MAKING ME CRAZY EXCITED TO GET MY HANDS ON THESE BOOKS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to see you enjoyed this! If you get time, read the Dark Hunter series. You get rather full backstories to most of the Dark Hunters. For Kyrain and Ash, look up Night Pleasures and Acheron. Set aside a lot of time for Acheron.
    Thanks for bringing up the question of Nick's brother...it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)