Saturday, 30 June 2012

Review: Snow White and the Huntsman by Lily Blake

Snow White and the Huntsman by Lily Blake (et. al)
Publisher: Atom
Released: June 1st 2012
My Rating: 2.5 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

A breathtaking new vision of a legendary tale. Snow White is the only person in the land fairer than the evil queen who is out to destroy her. But in a twist to the fairytale, the Huntsman ordered to take Snow White into the woods to be killed becomes her protector and mentor in a quest to vanquish the Evil Queen. (from Goodreads)


I wanted to read Snow White and the Hunstman because I knew I probably wouldn’t be seeing the film, but I didn’t want to miss out on all the hype and excitement surrounding it. While the plot was good one (and more compelling than the Disney version, if you ask me), I couldn’t really engage completely with the book. I’ve had this problems with books based on films before, and I just think the length of the book (220 pages) didn’t leave room to allow a fully developed story. I think the book would be more enjoyable read alongside the film instead of a substitute for it, so I would still recommend this to anyone who saw and enjoyed the movie.

The Queen in Snow White and the Huntsman was ruthless. Absolutely ruthless. She wasn’t just obsessed with being the fairest of them all because she was vain, she actually enjoyed sucking the youth out of people and being in power. She did seem to have a reason for it, something that happened in the past, but this was only partially explained and there wasn’t as much depth to the Queen’s character as there could have been. It was the same for the Huntsman. He also had a painful past, but a lot was skimmed over and while I did like him, I felt like he and none of the characters were really fleshed out, which is why this book would be better read accompanying the film instead of separately.

I liked Snow White – she was less of a damsel in distress, and more willing to fight to protect herself. However, she didn’t actually do much throughout the whole book. Really she was led everywhere by the Huntsman, and even when she saved him from the troll, all she did was stare the troll down to make it go away. Stare it down. A troll. I have no idea how that worked. Her relationship with the Huntsman was strange and I didn’t really understand what they were by the end. Friends? Comrades? More? And when William turned up, a friend from her childhood, it was even more confusing! I wouldn’t have minded if it’d been resolved in the end, but it was all sort of just left open and never explained.

My main problem was that I felt like everything happened too fast. One minute Snow White was locked in the tower, next minute she was on the run, five minutes later she had already befriended the Huntsman. The meeting with the seven dwarves literally whizzed past. They were strangers, and then a few pages later they were mourning together like old friends. I did really like the darker aspect of the story though and the fact that Snow White actually rode out to meet the Queen. I also liked the fact that the Huntsman wasn’t just a tool of the Queen and that the dwarves weren’t kindly men but were actually quite fierce.

Overall, Snow White and the Huntsman was a quick read but lacked the character development I usually look for in books. If you liked the movie or are planning to see the movie, give the book a go.

6 comments:

  1. Such a quick read probably wouldn't sit well with me. I am actually looking forward to watching the movie, but maybe not reading the book. Thanks for your honest thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm watching the movie first. I don't think I'll like the book either way so I'm not spoiling the movie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really get why they make books based on films either...I'm not sure I'd bother to read this one, tho I like the concept it doesn't sound like it actually worked well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didnt' expect this to be any good compared to the movie, so good to hear. Nice and honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um.... I think you just summed up my every single thought about the film =\ I saw it the other day and the visuals were fantastic and I mean, it was an okay movie, sure. I didn't hate it. But I think for every reason you were so-so on the book, that mirrored in the movie and... I was underwhelmed. Which was disappointing since I was SO excited.

    I have a feeling I'm going to feel the same about the book, but I guess time will tell! Fantastic review, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and will eventually come back in the foreseeable future.

    Grace Crawford (The Maids Sandy Robinson)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)