Monday, 9 July 2012

Contemporary Summer: Review of Out of Sight, Out of Time by Ally Carter

Out of Sight, Out of Time (Gallagher Girls #5) by Ally Carter
Publisher: Orchard Books
Released: April 5th 2012
My Rating: 4.25 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

The last thing Cammie Morgan remembers is leaving the Gallagher Academy to protect her friends and family from the Circle of Cavan--an ancient terrorist organization that has been hunting her for over a year. But when Cammie wakes up in an alpine convent and discovers that months have passed, she must face the fact that her memory is now a black hole. The only traces left of Cammie's summer vacation are the bruises on her body and the dirt under her nails, and all she wants is to go home.

Once she returns to school, however, Cammie realizes that even the Gallagher Academy now holds more questions than answers. Cammie, her friends, and mysterious spy-guy Zach must face their most difficult challenge yet as they travel to the other side of the world, hoping to piece together the clues that Cammie left behind. It's a race against time. The Circle is hot on their trail and willing stop at nothing to prevent Cammie from remembering what she did last summer.
(from Goodreads)

Out of Sight, Out of Time was another amazing Gallagher Girls book. It was a lot darker than the previous books - even darker than Only the Good Spy Young – but I really enjoyed it and I love the direction the series is taking. I’m already dying to read book six – Ally Carter sure knows how to leave you wanting more!

From the beginning, we were plunged right into the story. Cammie woke up in a convent with no memory of the past four months, and for the few chapters, all I could think was “What? What the hell? What is going on here!” I had no clue what was happening, and like Cammie, was desperate to get some answers. I felt so bad for Cammie in this book. She suffered so much; she had no idea what had happened to her or what she had done, and was both desperate and terrified to actually find out. She has lost her memory and at points thought she was losing her mind, and it was such a horrible situation to be in that I can’t even imagine how she coped with everything. She was so strong and her spy training really paid off and helped her survive.

Zach, of course, needs no introductions. He was in this book quite a lot and was an important character, and I just loved him. I mean, I have always loved him, since he first appeared in book two, but I think I love him even more now. When Cammie was missing, he ran off to find her. When he couldn’t, he was devastated. When Cammie needed his support, he was there. There was less humour between the two this time (I did miss that), as things were so serious, but their connection was still there and I just adored every scene they were in. At the start, I didn’t know what would happen, after Cammie came back and so much had changed. But luckily Zach was still Zach and I could rely on him to be someone Cammie could talk to.

Bex, Macey and Liz were great friends as always, despite the fact that things seemed a bit off with them at the beginning. I loved seeing them again, and was happy Cammie had such good friends. We got to see a few other old characters as well, some of which were unexpected, and I enjoyed reading about them too, and can’t wait to see what happens next!

The plot was amazing – fast-paced and engaging; I could not put the book down. The way everything was connected was so clever. At the beginning, I had no idea what was going on, but every clue Cammie found cleverly fit together, and things I would never have thought were important became key to solving the mystery. It was so well done – usually I guess a lot of things and find endings sort of predictable, but I was so absorbed in the story that it was surprise after surprise, and I didn’t figure out anything at all until right at the end! The frantic desperation Cammie had to get her memory back was portrayed really well too, and I could just feel her emotions every time she got closer and closer to finding out the truth.

Overall, Out of Sight Out of Time was an amazing addition to a brilliant series. I’ve always loved books about spies (who doesn’t), but I really think this is one of the better ones out there for teens, and I would recommend this series to any fan of YA because honestly, it’s just that excellent, and you all need to read it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Be sure to visit Cait's blog for a guest post with Faye from A Daydreamer's Thoughts!

Don't forget you can enter to win a set of Ally Carter books (including this one) or a contemp of your choice here.

5 comments:

  1. I've not even read one book in this series. I'm always hearing good things, though. I guess I should try harder to get my hands on the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it is always great to see that the later books in the series are just as special as the beginning was. Lately it seems that series are getting too darn long and that there isn't much plot actually left to explore come book 4-infinity lol.

    I'm glad you are still highly enjoying this series.
    Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how these books become more complex and more mystery-driven as they go on...dont actually know how we will cope with the final book!! I did miss the humour a bit as well, but was so caught up in the plot that I soon forgot it. Zach was amazing, Mr Solomon was amazing, Cammie was amazing...I loved how well Ally Carter captured her fear at not remembering, for someone so always in control and always in the know, and so confident, it was so weird and scary for her to not be able to trust herself, and I loved how well that was put across


    Cait x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, wasn't expecting these kind of turns in the series! And I'm loving how they sound like they grow more intense. I loved the first two, though for some insane reason it's taking me a while to get through the whole series. No reflection of my enjoyment, because I have SO been enjoying!! After learning what I have to look forward to in OOSOOT (why does Cammie losing her memory make me excited??), catching up on the previous books must become a priority! BRILLSOME REVIEW!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)