Tuesday, 14 August 2012

Review: Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett

Confessions of an Angry Girl (Confessions #1) by Louise Rozett
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Released: August 28th 2012
My Rating: 4 stars of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some confessions to make….

1. I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate, don't you?

2. I make people
furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who might be dating a cheerleader. She is now enraged and out for blood. Mine.

3. High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I
see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry—get it?)

Here are some other vocab words that describe my life:
Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.

(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.)

(Sorry. That was rude.)
(from Goodreads)

Confessions of an Angry Girl had a bit of a shaky start for me, but I ended up really enjoying it, and I’m already looking forward to the sequel.

Rose was such a likeable character. It was easy to understand why she was so angry and frustrated all the time; her dad was dead, she didn’t fit in (or really even want to fit in) with the people at her high school, her brother was at college and seemed to have no time for her anymore and she barely spoke to her mother, who was acting more like a robot than a human. If I were her, I’d be angry too. Plus her best friend seemed to be changing and Rose just felt really separated from everyone else. It didn’t help that she liked an older boy who already had a girlfriend (who was so horrible, I don’t understand why anyone would go out with her). I could relate to Rose and I felt she was a pretty believable teen that struggled with what everyone else considered to be the norm – stuff like constant partying and getting drunk off your face didn’t really appeal to her, and she liked spending some time alone instead of always being surrounded by crowds of people. She didn’t care that everyone else she knew seemed to be drinking or having sex or smoking or whatever – she just wanted to do what she wanted to do, and I had to respect her for not giving into peer pressure so easily. The only thing is that she was so young. She was fourteen, and Jamie, the boy she liked, was seventeen and I don’t know. It made me a little bit uncomfortable. Seventeen may only be three years older, but life at seventeen is considerably different to life at fourteen. And Rose was so obviously young as well, she wasn’t exceedingly mature for her age (though perhaps more mature than your average fourteen year old – she was already thinking about stuff like university), she was young young, and it came across in her voice and the way she acted. She made stuff worse for herself, embarrassed herself a lot and a lot of cringey stuff happened that made me cover my face with a pillow a couple of times, but then I guess life just is that cringey sometimes, and you can’t edit life (no matter how much you may want to).

I have to admit, I liked Jamie. I couldn’t help myself, he had that whole bad boy thing going on and he seemed to actually like Rose and care about her. He didn’t act all superior just because he was older (which a lot of the characters did) and he didn’t like how everyone was treating Rose so badly for calling the ambulance at a party to help her friend (I actually couldn’t believe how people reacted to this. Rose called the ambulance to save someone’s life, and she was getting all this abuse because the party got broken up after it happened. It was so unfair how she was treated, it made me want to weep for humanity). But I was also thinking, come on. Jamie was older and should have known better. He had a girlfriend, Regina, yet he didn’t seem to like her much. But he was still with her. I didn’t get it at all. His girlfriend was AWFUL and even with their backstory and everything, I still had no idea why he would ever agree to go out with her. And though I did like his scenes with Rose (FINALLY SOME DECENT KISS SCENES! I swear, if I had read “the kissed deepened” one more time, I would have gone crazy, but luckily I was saved from that madness) and liked his defiant kind of personality, I felt like he made some bad decisions.

Tracy, Rose’s best friend, was...eh. I couldn’t like her. I just thought she was a bad friend, and I didn’t care for her excuses. She was also so dense, and the way she treated Rose (especially after all the bad things that had happened to her) wasn’t great. I had a better impression of her towards the end, but I didn’t like her much throughout the book. She was nothing compared to Regina though, who was just terrible. I don’t know what made her that way, and I actually felt sorry for her because she obviously had some issues. Angelo, one of Jamie’s friends, was a character I liked and he seemed to  be a funny and genuinely nice guy. I also kinda felt sorry for Robert, who liked Rose, but who she treated sort of meanly. He was a bit slow on the uptake, but I felt bad for him.

Plot-wise, things started off a little slow (and there was so much embarrassment!) and nothing really stood out for me, but I found myself really enjoying the pacing later on and felt really into the story. I liked how the characters interacted (especially Rose and Jamie, and Rose and her brother Peter) and how everything was centred on things that could really happen in real life. I think the book could have done with being a bit longer, but I really enjoyed it as a whole and can’t wait to find out what will happen next in Confessions of an Almost-Girlfriend.

Overall, Confessions of an Angry Girl was a funny contemp that looked at a range of different issues, and I’d definitely recommend it to contemp fans or those looking for something enjoyable and easy to read.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds great! I hadn't heard of it until now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review, you intrigued me! This book goes straight in my wishlist - and so now it is a light year + 1 long >.>

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover for this. What's holding me back is knowing she's fourteen. Sometimes when the protagonist's that young, they come across TOO immature and I can't get as in to the story as much as I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen this book around, but yours is the first review I've read for it. You have definitely peaked my interest! Even with a few flaws here and there, it still sounds like a really good read and I'm liking Rose already for not caving into the peer pressure. I can totally relate to not being into the whole party scene/crowds.

    I also like to see how those kind of age differences are explored in YA novels, so I'm super curious to see how this all pans out. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was really intrigued until you mentioned the MCs age. I don't know if I could handle her only being 14 and doing everything she does. Boy, I'm starting to act like a snooty adult, aren't I? Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)