Friday, 9 August 2013

Review: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2) by Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Released: August 15th 2013
My Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Eighteen-year-old Celaena Sardothien is bold, daring and beautiful – the perfect seductress and the greatest assassin her world has ever known. But though she won the King’s contest and became his champion, Celaena has been granted neither her liberty nor the freedom to follow her heart. The slavery of the suffocating salt mines of Endovier that scarred her past is nothing compared to a life bound to her darkest enemy, a king whose rule is so dark and evil it is near impossible to defy. Celaena faces a choice that is tearing her heart to pieces: kill in cold blood for a man she hates, or risk sentencing those she loves to death. Celaena must decide what she will fight for: survival, love or the future of a kingdom. Because an assassin cannot have it all . . . And trying to may just destroy her. (from Goodreads)

I didn’t know what to expect with Crown of Midnight. All I knew was that things were going to happen and they weren’t all going to be pleasant. What an understatement. My brain is still trying to process all the things that went on. I feel like – bah! I don’t even know what I feel. It’s books like these that make me sad to remember that I’ll have to wait another year or so for the next instalment.  Why don’t I have a time machine?

So a lot of things happened in this book and there were lots of things going on that connected to each other in some way. We also got to find out a bit more about the characters, especially about Celaena’s past. I’d been dying to know about her background for a while so I was so glad for some explanations. Some of it shocked me, some of it didn’t. I shall leave it at that to avoid spoilers. But I will say that Celaena had a hard life and at times I felt so sorry for her, I couldn’t even imagine how she managed to get up and work for the king every morning. But it wasn’t all doom and gloom and she still had her flirty, somewhat arrogant sense of humour. Towards the end when things started to get really serious we kind of got to see a different side of Celaena which I liked. And after the ending (I did suspect something like that, but the real mystery is what Celaena will do now), I cannot wait to read the next book.

One thing I really loved about Crown of Midnight was the growing relationship between Celaena and Chaol. They were friends in Throne of Glass and you could tell that Chaol had started to have feelings for her, but in Crown of Midnight they became closer and it was the kind of relationship where they could just be comfortable in each other’s presence and could talk and laugh and just understand each other. I loved the time they spent together! Dorian was still present but...well it’s hard to explain. The situation wasn’t really the same, and in a surprising twist, he had his own things to be dealing with. I really had no idea what was going on at first or why but I was really interested in how Dorian was going to deal with it. He was starting to stand up to his father and question everything he’d previously known. There was definitely a tension between Dorian and Chaol but they were still friends and Chaol was still loyal to Dorian no matter what. The only thing about the relationships that I wasn’t fond of was how complicated everything was getting and that I kept doubting who Celaena really could end up with (assuming they don’t all die!). It seemed like it’d be Chaol, but then I just couldn’t be sure! As much as I liked Dorian, I’m definitely Team Chaol.

Nehemia was one of Celaena’s only friends and one of the only people she really trusted. We were also introduced to someone who Celaena had known in her old life, Archer. I didn’t really know what to make of this guy and I kept changing my mind every time he popped up.

Plot-wise, there was always something intriguing going on, and there were so many twists concerning all the characters. I really could not have guessed some of the things that happened (and though the very end didn’t shock me shock me, the implication it had...well. Let’s just say the next book is going to veeery interesting). I also really want to find out more about Queen Elena. She always appeared at random moments and spouted cryptic advice – I wanted to know what her motives were! Mort, a magical doorknocker who could talk (yep, this is real) funnily enough was one of my favourite parts of this book because he was actually quite funny and always warned Celaena not to do things which she ended up doing anyway.

Overall, Crown of Midnight was an excellent sequel to Throne of Glass, and just as enjoyable and even more suspenseful. I absolutely cannot wait to read the next book, and if you haven’t started this series yet I definitely recommend it!

3 comments:

  1. OHHH, a slow blooming friendship-into-something-more and lots of plot twists!! This definitely sounds like a book I need to read! I haven't read the first, but it's on my list of series I need to get to soon! Great review, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this book even if the only good thing that comes out of it is meeting Mort because I am entirely confident that a magical talking doorknocker CANNOT DISAPPOINT.

    But really, I'm glad this didn't disappoint at all! I am SO excited to read this sequel and learning that it gets more twisty and delicious and magical is just what I wanted to hear! Thanks for the awesome review, Liz! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed this one! Such an incredible sequel, I'm still thinking about it even though I read it a couple months back. If only book three was closer to releasing! :(

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)