Thursday, 22 August 2013

Review: Fracture by CJ Daugherty

Fracture (Night School, #3)
Fracture (Night School #3) by CJ Daugherty
Publisher: Atom
Released: August 15th 2013
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Devastated by the loss of her friend and under constant threat from an unknown spy at Cimmeria Academy, Allie Sheridan is finding it hard to cope.

In Fracture, the third book in the Night School series, she’s not the only one losing it – everything is falling apart. And when Nathaniel begins to reveal his game plan, Isabelle starts to lose control.

As the school slides into a deadly morass of paranoia and suspicion, everyone is guilty until proved innocent. Anyone can be held without proof, and convicted without a trial. No one is safe.

This time Nathaniel doesn’t need to hurt them. This time they’re hurting themselves.
(from Goodreads)

Fracture was another great addition to the Night School series and I’m already excited for book four!

Things were a little bit darker in Fracture, and everyone was taking the threat of danger very seriously. Allie was devastated over the loss of Jo and was having a hard time dealing with it – especially since the school was getting nowhere in trying to catch the traitor and stopping Nathaniel. I think Jo’s absence was really obvious in Fracture and I did miss her a lot – it made me realise just how much Allie must have been suffering. But Rachel, who I have always loved, was as supportive as ever (well, at the start – things got a bit strained later on) and Zoe was also back. Zoe was a character that I really liked in Legacy, so I’m glad we got to see more of her! I liked that she was always honest and didn’t really care if other people thought she was strange or awkward. Even though she was an amazing fighter and could probably take half the school down in no time flat, there was a very comforting quality about her...I don’t know. I liked seeing her friendship with Allie develop. And speaking of friendship – Nicole really grew on me in this book! She was very funny and helpful and supportive – yet I do have this niggling feeling that perhaps she wasn’t being entirely truthful about everything. I didn’t know whether to completely trust her – after what happened to Jo, I didn’t really trust anybody in this book – but I did like her in Fracture and hope to see more of her in the next book.

The romance in Fracture was...complicated. Carter was now with Jules and Sylvain was kind of just hovering around waiting for Allie’s decision. And Allie was as indecisive as ever. I have to say I did find it a bit annoying that she kept going back and forth between the boys (especially since Carter had another girlfriend now – shame on him too!) and I didn’t even know who I actually wanted her to end up with. I never really liked Sylvain and just couldn’t forgive him for what he did in book one, even though he did save Allie’s life a few times. He seemed to be nice but eh. I just couldn’t trust him. I liked Carter in book one, but after his behaviour in Legacy, I went off him. He seemed a bit better in Fracture, but since he was with Jules – ahhh! I don’t know! Allie seemed to think her relationship with Carter was more of a “friendship love” but how she came to this conclusion, I don’t know, seeing as she couldn’t seem to resist kissing him. And she kept saying it was different with Sylvain, but we never got to see WHY – so if the thing with Carter was “friendship love”, then wouldn’t it be the same for Sylvain? Poor confused Allie. I hope she can make up her mind some day. And I have to say, I feel sorry for her friend Mark who turned up at the beginning of the book and then disappeared...

Plot-wise, there was still a lot of mystery surround Nathaniel and who the traitor in Cimmeria was, but some things were explained (though now I have even more questions!). We also got to see a bit more of Allie’s grandmother, Lucinda, who was a very interesting character. I wasn’t sure what to think about her – she seemed like quite a powerful lady and it was hard to tell what she was really thinking. I was still left wondering about Allie’s brother Christopher as well, and how exactly Nathaniel had gotten to him to make him join his side.

Overall, Fracture was an enjoyable third instalment and I’m looking forward to see what happens next! If you liked the first two books, Fracture is a must-read, and if you have yet to start the series, do pick it up.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I have only read the first book and I can't believe that Sylvain is still on the scene! He's an ass! What is going on with Carter?! I need to catch up on this series!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)