Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Three Mini Reviews

Double Crossed: A Spies and Thieves Story (Gallagher Girls, #5.5; Heist Society, #2.5)Double Crossed: A Spies and Thieves Story (Heist Society #2.5, Gallagher Girls #5.5) by Ally Carter
Publisher: Orchard Books
Released: January 30th 2013
My Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Macey McHenry—Glamorous society girl or spy-in-training?

W.W. Hale V—Heir to an American dynasty or master thief?

There are two sides to every coin. Whether these two can work together is a tossup.

Born into privilege, Macey and Hale are experts at mingling with the upper class. But even if they’ve never raised an eyebrow at the glitz, neither teenager has ever felt at home with the glamour.

When Macey and Hale meet at a society gala, the party takes a dangerous turn. Suddenly they’re at the center of a hostage situation, and it’s up to them to stop the thugs from becoming hostile. Will Macey’s spy skills and Hale’s con-man ways be enough to outsmart a ruthless gang? Or will they have to seek out the ultimate inside girl to help?

The worlds of
Heist Society and the Gallagher Girls collide in Ally Carter’s fast-paced, high-stakes and tantalizing new story. Get a behind the scenes glimpse as Ally delivers an irresistible thriller that is full of her signature style and savvy twists. (from Goodreads)

How much did I love this novella? Gallagher Girls and Heist Society collide? Could anything be more perfect than this? HALE AND MACEY, guys. Two of the AWESOMEST characters of both series. I just adored it. I loved their banter, they were so hilarious. Hale was being all polite with his “I’m taken” and Macey cracked me up with her “like I care” and ah. The way they both had skills the other didn’t expect...it was fantastic. Kat made an appearance in this one too, and Macey made a passing comment that she and Cammie should meet because they would get along...THIS. THIS. If there is another novella, CAMMIE NEEDS TO MEET KAT. THEY NEED TO GO OFF ON AN ADVENTURE! I would also find Zach and Hale having a chat quite fabulous as well. But back to the Double Crossed...Abby made an appearance too and made Kat a very fine offer at the end which I can’t even tell you how much I “OMG”d at. PLUS Macey just happened to mention her plans for the future, as did Hale...so perhaps they will meet again. I certainly hope so, because I LOVED THIS NOVELLA SO MUCH. It wasn’t long enough. I could have read it all day. AHHHH EXCITEMENT. This is why I love Ally Carter. She’s a genius!

12396218
Everneath (Everneath #1) by Brodi Ashton
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Released: February 2nd 2012
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she’s returned—to her old life, her family, her friends—before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can’t find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there’s a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he’ll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki’s time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she’s forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole’s...
(from Goodreads)

I can’t believe I waited so long to read this book. I don’t even know why I did – I love Greek mythology and this book sounded like just my cup of tea, so why I put it off so long is beyond me. However, I have read it now, and I loved it. It was not what I was expecting – I thought it’d be very high school-y and centred around class and stuff, but it wasn’t like that at all. It was a lot creepier and darker than I thought it’d be (the fact the Feed lasted a hundred years was so strange...no wonder Nikki wasn’t your regular high school teen anymore!), and Cole...I thought he’d just be your typical bad boy, but he was far more complex. Have to admit, I am Team Jack – which surprised me, because usually I am all for the bad boys. But he was just so sweet and so cute and obviously cared about Nikki a lot. He wanted to know what happened to her yet he supported her even when she refused to open up to him. I do think he accepted the whole Everneath/Feed thing a little too easily – I would have been a bit more sceptical and “wtf” about it all, but apart from that, I liked him a lot and I just want Jack and Nikki to be happy! I just love the way they met when they were kids, it was so adorable, and now I’m really rooting for them. But well. After that cliffhanger (which I did see coming, buuut there were a few other twists to make up for it), it doesn’t look like happiness is in store for them, so we shall have to see. A fab read!

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #1) by Michelle Hodkin
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Released: March 1st 2012
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger. She wakes from a coma in hospital with no memory of how she got there or of the bizarre accident that caused the deaths of her best friends and her boyfriend, yet left her mysteriously unharmed. The doctors suggest that starting over in a new city, a new school, would be good for her and just to let the memories gradually come back on their own.

But Mara’s new start is anything but comforting. She sees the faces of her dead friends everywhere, and when she suddenly begins to see other people’s deaths right before they happen, Mara wonders whether she’s going crazy! And if dealing with all this wasn’t enough, Noah Shaw, the most beautiful boy she has ever seen can’t seem to leave her alone… but as her life unravels around her, Mara can’t help but wonder if Noah has another agenda altogether…
(from Goodreads)

Hmmm...my thoughts on this book, let’s see. Well, mostly confusion. But in a good way. I seriously had no idea what was going on half the time, but it made everything more interesting and I was curious enough to want to read on and unravel the mystery. Mara was a very fascinating character, and I like that she was a bit...bad. Not going to explain what I mean by that, but you’ll understand if you’ve read the book. She could be very funny sometimes too and while I didn’t love Noah (I LIKED him, but he doesn’t make my top boyfriends list, sadly – he could be a tad bit cheesy at times, though I will say he had some awesome one-liners and witty/innuendo-y responses that made me laugh) I liked the relationship they had going on...unconventional, to say the least. And the romance was pretty awesome at times, not gonna lie. However...the ending. For me, it came across as quite a big shock. I don’t know whether I should have seen it coming or not, but I didn’t, and man was I surprised. Not just at the cliffhanger, but at finding out what happened to Mara as well... I don’t even know how the next book is going to sort out this mess, honestly. I imagine some more shocking things are to come our way! Very excited to find out what happens next. 

2 comments:

  1. What a great collection of books! The Mara Dyer series is one of my favourites and I really loved Everneath and have to read the sequel soon! And any book with Hale in is genius. Simple as.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Mara Dyer was such a good read, and I totally agree about how it made you confused, in a good way! Hodkin definitely kept me guessing while reading the book. I hope you enjoy the second book as well!
    Everneath was pretty awesome as well. I still need to read the second book in that series, but I really, really enjoyed the first book!
    Great mini reviews!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)