Friday, 20 June 2014

Two Mini Reviews

Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy #1) by Jennifer Estep
Publisher: Kensington Teen
Released: August 1st 2011
My Rating: 3 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy; a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest. But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why; especially since I should have been the one who died... (from Goodreads)

Touch of Frost started off very slowly for me. I almost gave up. Everything was so, so repetitive – we were told the same things over and over again. It got to point where I just kept thinking, “Okay! I get it! I am capable of remembering things! STOP TELLING ME THIS!” But I’m glad I didn’t give up, because the book got really good further on and I really liked the ending! Gwen was a pretty cool character that was able to stand up for herself, and I liked her quite a lot. I also liked the take on mythology in this book with all the different gods and goddesses, and I think it was pretty different to any other mythology-based book out there. There was one part about a certain sword that I found really interesting – I liked how it was passed down to females in each generation and the story behind it all was fascinating. Another great thing about Touch of Frost was the romance. Logan was a likeable enough love interest, but the best part was actually that Gwen and Logan didn’t end up together. They had lots of moments, and sure, this is only the first book in the series, but there was no insta-love, no overdramatic declarations – just a slow, developing romance that was more realistic than a lot of other YA books I’ve read. I liked reading about these two, and it left me wanting more in the next book. So overall, Touch of Frost was a worthwhile read, just very slow to start. And I loved Vic – that’s all I’ll say.

Kiss of Frost (Mythos Acadamey #2) by Jennifer Estep
Publisher: Kensington Teen
Released: November 29th 2011
My Rating: 3.5 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

I’m Gwen Frost, a second-year warrior-in-training at Mythos Acad­emy, and I have no idea how I’m going to sur­vive the rest of the semes­ter. One day, I’m get­ting schooled in sword­play by the guy who broke my heart—the drop-dead gor­geous Logan who slays me every time. Then, an invis­i­ble archer in the Library of Antiq­ui­ties decides to use me for tar­get prac­tice. And now, I find out that some­one at the acad­emy is really a Reaper bad guy who wants me dead. I’m afraid if I don’t learn how to live by the sword—with Logan’s help—I just might die by the sword...(from Goodreads)

I enjoyed Kiss of Frost more than Touch of Frost, though I found it to be another slow starting book. We had more repetition (though not as much as in book 1) that made me sigh and then scream (in my head) “STOP EXPLAINING AND GET ON WITH IT”. But I got over it pretty quickly this time and became more absorbed in the story. I liked Logan a bit more in this one and I loved the way the romance between him and Gwen developed. He showed a more caring side to him while retaining the mysterious bad boy aspect as well, so I was really pleased with that. Though I did raise my eyebrows at how many times Gwen kept running into him. Really, how many bloody times can you literally run into someone? Another character I really liked in this book was Kenzie, who was pretty fun and good to read about. Vic was also back with some more hilarious comments, and we got a deeper look at Morgan; I definitely think there’s more to her than first meets the eye and I’m curious to see what part she’ll play in the next book. Overall, Kiss of Frost was enjoyable and I like the way the story is going and the task Gwen’s been set with. I'll probably pick up the next book in the series soon.

3 comments:

  1. (So I only read your review for the first book just cuz I'm weird and paranoid about spoilers like that -- Not that I think you'd ever post spoilers I just... am weird. Ignore me. :">)

    I've seen this series around a LOT but have never felt much of an interest in it. I'm intrigued by your review: 3/5 stars but you continued with the series anyway. And me? I have nooooo patience for overenthusiastic redundancies in books. Still. No insta-love and it gets more exciting later on. I say, the summary didn't give me much confidence in it, but your review sure did. I'll add this to my summer reading list. ^.^

    Thanks for sharing darlin!

    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well yeah
    I read every single book in this series one after another. I really appreciated that the author wabted to refresh us on what happened in the previous book but I remembered everything! I didnt need it. It was quite annoying
    But the whole series is amazing. Believe me.
    You reader
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a pretty good series, but not an unmissable series. I'm pretty sure I have a copy of the first book somewhere so I might try and dig it out *collapses under piles of books!*

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)