Thursday, 10 July 2014

Review: The 100 by Kass Morgan

The 100 (The Hundred #1) by Kass Morgan
Publisher: Hodder
Released: 29th August 2013
My Rating: 2 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

In the future, humans live in city-like spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the long-abandoned planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources and a growing populace, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland... before it's too late.

Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents are being sent on a high-stakes mission to recolonize Earth. After a brutal crash landing, the teens arrive on a savagely beautiful planet they've only seen from space. Confronting the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community. But they're haunted by their past and uncertain about the future. To survive, they must learn to trust - and even love - again.
(from Goodreads)

NOTE: So The 100 TV show has just come to the UK, and everyone who has been watching it in the US seems to love it! I read the book quite a while back but really didn't enjoy it much. I never posted my review for some reason, but as I'll probably give the programme a chance (it does seem more interesting than the book to be honest), I thought I'd post my review now, and then compare it to my thoughts of the TV show later on.

The 100 had an interesting premise but unfortunately, it failed in its execution. It was quite jumbled, I felt detached from most of the characters and it was painfully cheesy/cringeworthy at times. Plus, not a lot happened after the first few chapters, so sadly, it was not really an enjoyable read for me.

First of all, there were too many POVs, which meant that the characters didn't get enough development. Really there wasn't much difference between Clarke and Glass personality-wise, mostly only difference in circumstances. Wells was so underdeveloped he was just bland and Bellamy seemed to have only one mode, which was an obsessive need to protect his sister. The romance was even worse; I had no idea why these people liked each other and then there was this random attempt a love triangle that had no substance - the characters had known each other for like, a DAY. It was so insta-lovey. And they were so back and forth with the love interests - I get why the CW picked this up for a TV show, it definitely felt like an episode of The Vampire Diaries. They'll be able to rally up followers behind the different "teams". And another reason why I didn't like the romance was because of how cheesy/cringey it was. A few quotes to highlight it: "Her cheeks were flushed, her eyes bright with anticipation. She looked like a girl in love" and "Tearing herself away from Luke made her ache with an almost physical pain" and "No matter what happened, she thought, kissing him with an almost desperate need, she would never let anything keep them apart again" and "They were the only two people on Earth" - and there were loads more.

Plot-wise, the beginning started off okay and I was quite curious as to what would happen...but that curiosity didn't last for long. Pretty much nothing happened after that, except one thing towards the end. And there were so many flashbacks! Some were okay and informative, but half of it really was just irrelevant and made the story feel muddled. And a lot of things weren't explained - like exactly why they moved to space, why Glass was Confined (why was what she did illegal?) and a bunch of other things that I just lost interest in after a while. The ending was a twist which wasn't exactly original but at least made things more intriguing. I probably won't read the next book, but I might watch the show, as I feel things would translate better on screen.

Overall, The 100 was a disappointing read for me and in fact, I have had so little to say about it, I think this is my shortest review ever, barring my mini reviews.

2 comments:

  1. I have heard really good things about the TV show but the books sounds a bit meh! I've read a lot of mixed reviews for this one - so maybe it's better just to stick to the TV adaptation here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a letdown! I've heard that the TV show was good. I think CW is good at adapting not-so-good novels and making it better. Think about what a nightmare The Vampire Diaries books were. Up until now, I still couldn't watch the show because I'm still infuriated by the books. Plus, I'm sorry to hear about the insta-love and the cheesy lines in The 100. Sigh. Anyway, thank you for your honest review, Liz.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)